Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

Taking a gamble to bring my D90 with me on my long distance cycling as I desperately wanted to cycle and also snap some photos. Saturday evening threatened to rain and call off my Sunday morning ride plans with my cam. Thank God ( Hallelujah ! ) by morning, the drizzle has stopped and what greeted me as I looked out of the windows is the sight of the rising sun at 6.30 am. Quickly got ready and started out... cool crisp air... Below the sight that greets me at my apartment's clubhouse.
It's a sunny day after all !
Route taken :
Desaria - Jln Tun Dr. Awang - Jln Yeap Chor Ee - Green Lane - Youth Park - Jln Bagan Jermal - Gurney Drive - Esplanade - Jln Gereja -after that lost track of the roads in town ( it is an experience riding in Georgetown where normally there's lots of cars ) -Penang road - Jelutong highway - passed Jerejak Resort jetty - Queensbay Mall - cut through Lebuhraya Kampung Jawa - PSDC - Jalan Tengah - back to Desaria.

Met some really nasty drivers at some junctions whereby I wanted to go straight ( and I put my hand out to signal I'm going straight ) and they still they sapu corner despite seeing cyclist already halfway thru the juction. If I've had it my way, probably I'm dead by now... there are also drivers shooting out of junctions without taking a look for on-coming cars/bikes/ cyclist. That is why you will never see me"fly" down the slopes on the roads with junctions as I'm afraid of meeting this breed of people. For all you know, they will just leave you to die there if any accident happens.

1459 kcal and 49++ km later, this is what I got... phew...not as easy as I thought and I don't think I will do it anymore for the time - reason being ...
1) My sunglasses got all fogged up when I stopped to take photos ( doesn't help that I'm short- sighted and have to keep my glasses on to take photos ) 2) My bagpack isn't really build for storing camera - taking out the cam proves to be kinda pain in the neck experience cos I put my cam in ziplock bag just in case in rains )
3) My camera almost suffered bodily injury when I took out from the backpack- luckily I have the habit of holding both the strap and lens... else you won't be able to read this post :) My lens got dismounted from the body ( must've accidentally unlocked the lens when putting back the cam into the bag earlier on ).
Anyway, after Esplanade I stopped taking photos as I find it too cumbersome following the 3 reasons above. Also wanted to head home earlier as the sun is up.
The newly erected entrance of Youth Park.
The Gurney Drive roundabout
Low tide at Oriental Restaurant end of Gurney Drive.
Trying my hands on silhouette shot at the other end of Gurney Drive.
E&O Hotel ...celebrating it's 125th years anniversary...
City Hall building at Esplanade
Lastly, reached Esplanade just in time to see Star Pisces docking at the Swettenham Pier.

No comments:

Post a Comment